Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dear Mom:

In the fall of 1984, I walked in to the dark sorority room of Holloway Hall on the campus of West Virginia Wesleyan College.  I was barely 19 years old and I was about to pledge the sisterhood of a group of girls:  Zeta Tau Alpha.  In a dimly lit ceremony, I joined a group of young women for what turned out to be too short a time.

Little did I know then, that nearly 28 years later I would be standing in the exact same room, once again lit only by candles, preparing for yet another sorority ceremony.  This time, our baby girl - just barely 21 years old and only moments after receiving her hood, MBA, and BS degrees (magma cum laude), would present me with the Zeta Mother's Pin and...  the following letter:

"Mom,

People always ask me, "Is that your mom?!" 

I have come to get used to this question.  Whether you are dressed in a crazy costume for the kids at church, e-mailing your blog to all my friends, or telling the President (of Wesleyan College) my life story -- your energy and positive attitude always bring people together -- and leave them wondering who you belong to!

I don't mean to make it sound so terrible!  I am always proud to say, "That's my mom."  When you amaze all those who know you with your strength and grace when faced with life's hardest struggles.  I would like to tell you that I am proud to be your daughter; I am proud you are my mom.

Graduation has made me think about what I want to do and who I want to be in this new life.  I want to be just like my mom.  I admire so much your approach to adversity with a strong trust in God and confidence; I admire how your writing is an inspiration and blessing to everyone.  I have always looked up to you, and today - like any other day, I am proud to be your daughter!"

You know what...  I realize that I am not the most organized mom around; I normally carry a 100 lb bag full of snacks, books, DS games, toys, crayons, etc; I probably should have had my hair cut months ago (at least colored, right?); if given a choice, I would eat chocolate all day; I tend to laugh a jokes a little late... and loud; and my clothes are mostly Caity's hand-me-downs. 

But hey...  this day, Caity's college graduation AND Mother's Day, well... (sniffle, sniffle)...  well, you know what I mean,... right?


".....28Her children arise up, and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praiseth her."  Proverbs 31

7 comments:

stacy slovinsky said...

Okay thanks for ruining my makeup for the day as I sit hear and read this with tears streaming down my face. I hope as I look into my daughters young eyes of age 3 that she will be proud to have me as her mom as Caity is to have you.

Jess said...

Angie how awesome! What a legacy!

laura said...

how very touching and tear jerking when a daughter can pay such a tribute to her mom.
you are very fortunate and blessed indeed.
laura

Anonymous said...

Congrats!!! The BEST compliments come from our children--and the most meaningful. There is nothing like knowing that we did something right with our greatest blessings from God. You can see the love flowing to your children.
Linda J

Angie Hott said...

Stacy... I can remember Caity's big brown eyes when she was three! Seems like yesterday!
Thanks Jessie!
Oh Linda! Thanks! Hope you can also see the love popping out of the picture!
love, a

Hannah said...

This post really struck a chord with me. I think I inherited some zaniness from my Mom, in high school it embarrased me, but now I see myself understanding that it's a priority thing. Now I don't care if I'm not cool...I am loving and raising a family and that's what's important. Loved your bio, too!

Angie Hott said...

Hi Hannah! Well.... I am so far from "cool" that I am "hott"! LOL!!! And I'm really far from that too (just having fun with the name I married)! Thanks for stopping by and reading "Dear Mom" I carry that piece of paper around in my wallet (don't tell Caity though, she already thinks I am such a nerd!)
love, a