Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mama Misunderstood

Well, if you are wondering why I am sitting here covered in mud, it's because I have taken a few blows over the past couple days here in the blogosphere.  All in the spirit of "friendly banter" according to Circle of Moms, coming from my kitchen, the mud slinging in my direction is far from friendly.

But you know what?  That's okay.  Chalk it up to my inexperience in this entire blogging world.  What I once felt was a safe medium to simply share stories of how God has blessed my family, I've learned that just because you compose something here online doesn't mean you will be completely understood.  After all, these are only words.  As much as I try to attempt to give a picture of my personality, the reader sitting on the other side of my lap top, never personally meeting me or really knowing anything about my character or background, can draw any conclusion they choose.  This is a tough lesson learned.

Very much a "Polly Anna", my naivety often gets me in trouble.  Conflict is not something I enjoy.  In my excitement in discovering some interesting sites (including contact from really popular moms), my eagerness to respond and be involved was completely mistaken as "backhanded compliments".  I am embarrassed to say that I had to look that up, so please don't tell anyone. 

Quickly, my comments were mistaken, words were twisted, and I was being verbally attacked with not only name calling but also spiteful religous persecution violating my civil rights.  So, you know what?  In the words of Taylor Swift, "why do you gotta be so mean?" 

It was my mistake thinking I could be a part of this crazy Top 25 thing, competing with nationally recognized sites among experienced bloggers.  Please don't stop by my site to harass me and throw more mud my way.  In the meantime, I will continue to visit and admire the creativity and construction of other blog sites.  We don't need to agree on everything, but we should at least be civil.  And whether you believe me or not, I once thought this was a medium to meet other moms and make new friends online.  Now, it doesn't feel like such a safe place to do that anymore.  How ironic is it, that of all places, a contest called the Top 25 Faith Mom Blogs would have so many willing to be blatantly unkind.

"But I say to you, love and bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you..." 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Sweet Angie: Anyone that knows your loving, kind heart could never say anything unkind about you. I was just checking Facebook and was going in to vote for you again when I read your blog. I think we are in a battle between good and evil and it is becoming more obvious everyday. Please continue to be yourself and say what you want to say. God bless and keep you. Hilda Snyder :)

Janine said...

I found your blog from the Circle after another friend asked me to vote for her blog. I am very sorry to hear about what happened to you, and I agree with Hilda Snyder's comment. I think your blog is very joyful, and I am enjoying it! Keep it up!

Angie Hott said...

Ahhhh! Thanks Hilda and Jeannine! You guys made my day! I really appreciate your kind words, they mean more than the votes - that's for sure! And "joy" is what I seek to find everyday in God's blessings! Thank you so much! :-)
love, a

Brenda B. said...

Well I do know Angie and when I read her articles I laugh hysterically because I can see it happening in her home and in mine. It is a shame that readers who do not know you "judge" you, it is sad that they do not have the lightheartedness that you have. We all need more JOY in our lives and I think instead of being critical we should find JOY. Keep the great articles coming Angie!!! Let your enemies bring out the best in you not the worst. When someone gives you a hard time, respond with the energies of prayer, for then you are working out of your true selves, your GOD-created selves. (Matt5:44MSG)

Lily said...

I agree. I found you from the Circle too. I've been there with the feeling of "what in the world just happened?" Then you feel the need to eat an entire package of girl scout cookies. Or at least I do. Don't let it get you down. :)

Angie Hott said...

LOL! Lily... guess what??? For me, it is honey bbq Cheeto Twists! I love those! Hahaha... girl scout cookies will work too! Me too, I'm still saying "hugh?"; anyway, thanks bunches!

Angie Hott said...

Hey Brenda! I love your idea to find JOY!!! Life just has too many crazy things to deal with to be mean to eachother, right? Thanks for reading... and thanks SOOOO much for the scripture! Wow! It blessed me at the exact right time!