Tuesday, February 12, 2013

I'm All Shook Up

Christians on Facebook
Who sings that song?... Do you know it?  Can't you hear the melody; something like "whoa... I'm all shook up!"  Found this graphic on a page called "Christians on Facebook" today.  Now, as my entire house is asleep, I just can't seem to get Elvis out of my head.

No.way!  Elvis' "All Shook Up" is a musical based on William Shakespeare's Twelfth Night!  Add that to the list of things I did not know!  (It's a long list.)  While browsing around some old Elvis Presley videos on youtube, I came across "Burning Love" also.  There's a fun song to watch Elvis dancing and moving across the stage!

Hummmmm.  And I began to smile as I remember the Hott House weekly Friday Night Dance Celebration.  "BB" (which stands for "before boys" OR those years ages ago before our boys, Isaac 9 and Levi now 8 were born), anyway... "BB," there was a time when every.Friday.night, we (then it was just Dan, Caity, Violet, and well, me) well, we would crank up some music in the living room all just dance ourselves silly.

Way back then, Friday meant the end of a stressful workweek for Dan as an environmental engineer for Chevron.  We all looked forward to that Friday night home when we all got a little goofy.  Fortunately, our neighbors were acres away.  I must admit, as Caity became a teenager, she seemed a little less enthusiastic with our boot-scootin-boogie.  That might be mostly because Dan's favorite song to blast was "Hott Mama" by Trace Adkins!  Do you remember that?  "You're one hot mama!  You wanna?"  :-)  I guess 14 year-olds don't like it when their mom's license plate says "Hott Mama".  Wonder why.

Since then, our house has doubled in occupancy.  And you know what?  We don't have those dance parties anymore.  Sure, we have our own sunset celebrations; but since PD moved in, well... I guess it's just a little more low key around here.  Yeah right!  Now, it's all about ninja training boys, bow and arrows, and the middle school track team.

You want to know what "shakes me up"?  With all that something like living with Parkinson's Disease has changed, Dan might be more of a silent observer in all our commotion  but "he will not be shaken" by it all.  No.  He is always somewhere in the middle of it all or listening from his laptop and watching his crew tear the house apart while Isaac plays ragtime.

Do I miss the dancing?  Sure.  The boys will never see their daddy's sweet moves like the girls did; but hey, you know what they do see?

Their daddy.  Every day.  And... he will not be shaken.

He's my hunka-hunka-burning-love!

"He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will not be shaken."  Psalm 62:6

No comments: