Wednesday, March 13, 2013

April 13th Is Wear Grey for PD Awareness!


Grey!   Gray!  or   GREEEEEEEEEEAY!!!!    Yay!  On April 13th, I will be joining others in the Parkinson's community and wearing, yes... my FAVorite color:  GREY!  As part of Parkinson's Awareness Month this April, Saturday the 13th, has been designated as "Wear Grey for PD Day!"  So, from head to toe, join me and others across the globe in an effort to raise awareness for families living with Parkinson's Disease.

You know what?  Each and every time I post using that color which mixes a combination of black and white, I find myself googling the correct spelling.  Gheeszh.  Of all colors, I much prefer something vibrant, bright, maybe even fluorescent.  But, for some reason the Parkinson's Disease folks have selected grey as it's banner color where you can see it included in the recognizable grey ribbon.  Wonder why it couldn't be green to match my Irish eyes? :-)  (I'm just teasing!)

So.  Grey it is.  Having just emerged from the shower with my dripping grey hair (at just 47 years old, need I remind you), it suddenly occurred to me that, well, grey really isn't so bad after all.  Being nearly all white for the past few years, I recently discussed with Kim over at the local hair salon, attempting to cover up these locks of mine.  Perhaps this is largely due to my second grader, Levi, announcing on his 8th birthday that he doesn't remember me in any other shade OR his recent question:  "Mom!  Why are all the other moms in my class like 25?"

R.e.a.l.l.y!?  Well, because they are!  But, like Michelle O'bama recently said about her new bangs, "It's just hair!"  And for goodness sakes, the more "grey" the better if it brings awareness to Parkinson's Disease.

So, be looking for my letter to the editors in the local papers asking the community to raise awareness for Parkinson's Disease.   It's like this:  if more people hear about this stinkin' chronic illness, maybe someone out there will figure out how to fix it.  Right?  Until then, well, "Excuse me, can I tell you something?" guess it's just me and my grey hair wearin' grey everyday and April 13th for PD Awareness Day!  You?

No comments: