Monday, August 30, 2010

Flippin' Out!!!!

Check out the one and only Hott Mama! That's me! Yes! I'm doing a forward tuck over the sun! Sound crazy! ???????

Well, it is! Because this is Violet! :-)

I can't even remember what a tumbling tuck is called much less get my 45 year old gray head to flip over the sun. It can only happen here at a Hott House Sunset Celebration!

Although, believe me, I really felt like I could do flips after last week's Rotary Meeting. Here's why:

Something amazing happened in Berkeley Springs, WV!
ALL MORGAN COUNTY SCHOOLS WILL HAVE AEDs! (Automated External Defibrillators)

I am a full time mom and I made a presentation before our local Rotary, my first time in front of adults in a very long time. It was a topic very near to my "heart"! You see, my husband was diagnosed with a crazy rare heart problem called Brugada Syndrome. (scroll down for links) This disease is fatal without an internal defibrillator. This disease is genetic.

We have 4 children, 3 are very young and attend schools in Morgan County. Dan was told by his Genetic Doctor, that the schools where our children attend must all have an AED, or Automated External Defibrillator, because they are at risk for Brugada Syndrome and could experience a Sudden Cardiac Arrest. There were only 3 in the schools. Our daughter, Violet, is in the 5th grade. Her school doesn't have an AED.

But they are about to get one. Last week, member of the Berkeley Springs community, Mr. Tom Seely, was at Rotary after missing several meetings for health reasons and he sat at my table. Yes, my table! I was terribly nervous to present because I can barely even think about my kids having Brugada much less talk about it in front of "big people". Mr. Seely volunteered to buy EVERY school in Morgan County an AED!!!!

The depth of commitment from this small community literally warms your "heart". Before I got home from the meeting, the Capertons of Gat Caperton Furniture also pledged to purchase another AED for the community ball field. On Wednesday, Sept. 1st, we will have the newly purchased AEDs at the Rotary Meeting with Mr. Seely and "Nurse Patty" from Warm Springs Intermediate School thanks to an amazing superintendent in Morgan County, Dave Banks.
Now you! Yes.... you can participate and bring awareness of such an important need for ALL communities. Please post and forward to your friends.

AEDs save lives! Yours, your kids, your neighbor! Give them another sunset... like this one:

No comments: