Saturday, June 2, 2012

Fifty Shades of My Red Face


Image DetailA trilogy?!  Really?  I stumbled on to the book Fifty Shades of Grey not much differently than Anastasia Steele stumbled in to Christian Grey's office to interview him the very first day.  Even with all the news and hype about the book, I was an unsuspecting reader just trying out the Kindle app on my new phone.  http://www.excusemecanitellyousomething.blogspot.com/2012/05/warning-dont-read-todays-column-fifty.html  Honestly! I guess that makes me a "vanilla" reader, right?  LOL!

Mostly a book nerd-housewife-46-year-old-"grey"-haired-mother-of-four, while reading the first "Fifty" book, I found a few things unbelievable.  1)  Would there really be a virgin college graduate?  and, 2)  Where did E. J. James find all those "toys" to list on the contract's hard limits?  Surely, such things do not exist. How could they?

Then, off I go to ask my unsuspecting husband.  "Dan, would you ever believe there is this thingy called a "such and such"?... There is no way THAT really exists.  I think James is making this stuff up.  Do you?"

Shortly thereafter, I was educated and come to find out,... there really are items "like that"!

Hummmm.... feeling a little uncomfortable with the content, I continued to read on.  After all, it was fun becoming involved in the love story within the drama.  Able to skip the more uncomfortable sections (of which there are many), I actually enjoyed watching Ana and Christian fall in love.

Which brings me to my column "Hott Flahses", I frankly became conflicted whether or not to share about reading "that" book Fifty Shades.  Ever the blabber-mouth, the more I discussed Fifty Shades among others, the more I discovered how many were "secretly" reading it; or, much to my surprise, already done!  How did I miss out on it all?  A columnist for a Christian website, Moms of Faith, would readers judge me too for even mentioning it?

Probably, but not any harsher than I was judging myself.  So, I went ahead and submitted the column and much to my surprise, it has received four times the views of any other column I have written.  Go Figure.  Although few commented, someone did ask me if I finished the book.  So, here and now, to just let it all out, is my answer:

Yes.  I finished Fifty Shades of Grey.  Not only that, I read all three!

Others asked me if I would recommend this book.  And to that, my answer is maybe.  Although the intimate scenes are beyond descriptive, they certainly aren't for everyone.  Able to bypass the parts that made me uncomfortable, I did manage to have my curiosity peaked which brings readers their own personal adventures.

In a nutshell, Fifty Shades gives a message that intimacy, which involves a release of control for both partners, has the ability to lead to authentic love in marriage relationships too.  Something all wives, and husbands, are seeking.  And don't we all want to feel treasured?  Which is exactly how Christian and Ana are in their marriage -- truly treasuring each other.  Gotta say, I like that, don't you?

Well, there's my two cents (or fifty!) on the subject!  Now, "excuse me, can I tell you something?", time to have Dan clarify a few more "terms" for me!

LOL!... Wink, wink,...  ;-)

"A man's greatest treasure is his wife -- she is a gift from the lord."  
Proverbs 18:22

No comments: