Friday, August 10, 2012

Explaining the Chick-fil-A Contraversy to a Child


"Excuse me, can I tell you something?"  The entire contraversy between Chick-fil-A and the LGBT community is making my head spin.  

Since our Hott family has been home on a “staycation” this summer, I have not missed much of the media hype, unfortunately, over Chick-fil-A’s support of the Biblical definition of marriage between man and woman.  Since I ended up avoiding the lines and bomb threat to our local Chick-fil-A on August 1st, Caity brought me my chicken and pickle sandwich later!

Yes,  you heard me.  We missed the lines on appreciation day, thankfully; but, our local restaurant in Martinsburg,WV, experienced a bomb threat.  This Chick-fil-A was shut down – all due to hatred.

Not only is my head spinning, but my heart is hurting even more over this craziness.  Can you just imagine what God must be thinking!?  A conflict of differing opinions; a disagreement between the views of an American corporation and those of more liberal philosophies; a media frenzy over Chick-fil-A’s Biblical foundations and the Lesiban, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender/Transsexual community.

This recently turned 47-year-old-grey-haired-Christian-hott-mama-of-four also has a heart for all people, regardless of their belief.  You see, although the Bible may define marriage one way; it also talks about choices and teaches us to “love one another” -- a perfect example of tolerance, accepting all people regardless of their differing beliefs.

“Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself.’”  
Matthew 22:37&39

...including LGBT's alike!  Sure, we can disagree about our beliefs; but love for my neighbor remains!

In fact, I encourage families to teach tolerance and diversity; and, I prefer this to be taught in a home without hatred!  Both are needed to achieve a peaceful world, right?  I don't agree with the school mandate requiring tolerance education because it will force these issues and raise questions long before truly necessary for children.  For many reasons, I believe this should come from parents.  (For more info, check out Focus on the Family's new website at www.TrueTolerance.org)

But here is what bothers me; here is what I find difficult to deal with:  How does a mom explain the Chick-fil-A controversy to children?  My kids only see that people are angry at Chick-fil-A!  You see, for a kid, a child, it really doesn’t matter what the argeument is all about.  Not.at.all.

Through the eyes of a 7 year old (or perhaps younger…I say this because my Levi is 7), one only sees that this fun restaurant with nice people and cool kid prizes is coming up everywhere when the radio or television is on.  For many, this Chick-fil-A with the goofy cows everywhere represents a safe place to go out with mom and dad where they hear that the food selections are healthier than others.  Let’s face it, Chick-fil-A is a family friendly environment to go out to eat.

Kinda like Disney World, right?  Family-friendly-fun!  Why not then, while we are at it, attack Disney World for promoting fairy tales that have male and female couples; kings and queens; Cinderella and her prince; Alladin and Jasmine; Nala and Mufasa; Lady and the Tramp; Snow White; Peter Pan and Tinkerbell; The Jungle Book; Sleeping Beauty; to Micky and Minnie….  So why Chick-fil-A?  Why now?  Someone please tell me…. Why?

Quite frankly, it is adults exacerbating a situation that force moms like me to have to explain all about tolerance and diversity long before I am ready to or even need to, for that matter.

For me, I would prefer to keep the fairy tale just a little longer please.  Wouldn't you?



1 comment:

Andrei said...

This is a great ppost