Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My Last First Date

It was a cold day in early 1995 when the phone rang in my little house on Concord Avenue on a Saturday evening.  "Hi, I'm Dan."

"Who?" was my reply.  Wait a second.  I don't know any guys named Dan.

"Dan Hott."

"Seriously?  Do I know you?"  Hmmmmm... He says his name is Dan Hott.  What kind of a name is that?  Maybe this is a crank call.  I was about to pull out my "tough" voice.

"Well, not exactly.  I'm friends with your sister-in-law, Cindy.  We, uh.... well, we were high school classmates at Williamsport in 1975."

"Really?  You know Cindy?"  Oooooookay.

"She gave me your number."

"Oh?  Did she?"  I'm not making this guy very comfortable, that's for sure.  Wonder what he wants.

"Yeah!  You see, I was in her office the other day.  Cindy is my accountant for my business.  And, well, I was wondering if you wanted to get together?"

Now, I get it!  (Sometimes I can be a little slow.)  This is an invitation to a date.  And a "blind date" at that!  Oh my!  What should I do?  Okay, let's see.  He knows Cindy who called this single mom of 29 years "cosmopolitan" one time.  He must be okay.  Let's listen.  Dan proceeded to fill me in on his 37 years, his family, interests, busy environmental business.  Wow!  He sure can talk.  "So, what do you say?  Would you like to meet me for lunch tomorrow?"

(dramatic pause....)

"Sure!"

Immediately after  I hang up with Dan, my phone rings again.  It's Cindy who says "Hey Ang. (She is the person that called me "Ang".) I just gave your number to an old friend of mine."  Oh, really?

So the next day I dropped Caity off at Grandma's after church and drove to Hagerstown, MD, to meet a complete stranger for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays.  He showed up in cowboy boots wearing a green plaid flannel shirt (remember, this was 1995) and made fun of my red Geo Tracker.  "That's not a real jeep!"  After a BLT on wheat toast and brisk walk by the muddy Potomac River, little did I know then, but I had just been on "my last first date!"

That was 18 years ago today!  Happy 1st Date Anniversary to my HottHubby Dan! Now, look at us:

"Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks!"

Tell me about your "last first date"



No comments: