Sunday, August 25, 2013

No Moms Allowed!

At the Daddy Daughter Ball!

Last night, First United Methodist Church was the host to an elegant evening designed just for dads and daughters.  From tiny toddlers to adult daughters, dads arrived to a crowd of cameras on the red carpet in suits, tuxes, fancy dresses and ball gowns.  It.was.beautiful!

So, why then was this 48-year-old-grey-haired-PD-blogging-hott-mama-of-four so blue?  Honestly, I had to swallow back the tears before we even left the house.  Please don't tell anyone this, especially Dan, Violet (and Caity), but as they were preparing for the night, this mom had a bit of a panic attack.

What a nerd, right?  Well, after I finally convinced our basketball playing, hurdle jumping, 400 meter running, cross country training 13 year old to put on a nice dress and wear a corsage of daisies on her wrist, a got hit in the head with a ton brick.

Or maybe it was a boulder.  But, while I was brushing my teeth, I panicked.  What if Violet decides she is just too cool to dance?  What if our teeny bopper would rather hang with her pals than dance with her daddy?

What if tonight was the only night the two had this unique opportunity to dance together?

And I don't get a picture?  Enough, right?  But listen to me.  Just the evening before, Dan and I encountered another young adult in our house.  For the first time EVer, Violet asked to be "dropped" at the movies.  Our local "Star" theater became the middle school Friday night place to go - withOUT parents!

Okay.... so the time is coming. I know. I get it. So, why was my heart swelling in my throat and my eyes stinging?  (I tried my best to hide it all.)  Then, today our 23 year old calls the house after seeing the plethora of pictures poudly presented on facebook.  And she says it:

"These girls will LOVE these pictures when they are planning their weddings!"

So.  Save the pictures parents!  Caity is right.  At 23, she has set her date and is deep in the midst of planning her big day when she walks down the aisle to get married.  For now, Violet is 13.  Dad and I may not be the coolest set of parents out there; but, a looooooooong time ago, he took Caity to her Daddy Daughter Dance too.

And, she found the picture to prove it.

"Excuse me, can I tell you something?"  I panicked.  Sorry to be such a desperate sap; but last night's Daddy Daughter Dance was so much more for this mom, and just maybe you too.  This evening, (which required some pretty careful med planning for Dan) once again, made me appreciate this very day, moment, second, that my heavenly Dad gifts us with - a moment in time - to dance with your daddy.

Thank you, dear Father, for the memories made last night at the ball, and I pray that my girls will get to dance with their daddy at their weddings too.

In the meantime, I have another picture to prove it!  (Thanks Luke!)


No comments: