Monday, August 19, 2013

Today My Son Moved Out

...of his little brother's room.

...across the hall!

He's 9.  And tomorrow will be the first day of fifth grade.  This afternoon, our son made a random announcement, "I want to move!... To my own room!"

Really?  Ok... so as I wonder where the fear of noises in the night and of the sound of wind went that prompted him to share a room with his brother 15 months younger, I begin to calculate  how to coordinate such a move with not just clothes, but also all his worldly belongings.

To my surprise, he tells me he really only needs his laptop, earphones, and of course, his Yamaha Keyboard.   Duh Mom!  Right?

Okay.  I know.  So he hasn't technically moved "out of the house" yet.  Sure, we've been through this already with his older sister, now 23 and living on her own.  But as we said our prayers at bedtime this evening in his "new" room, he chatters away about how excited he is to meet  his new teacher, how grown up he feels as a fifth grader, how much he loves his new Minecraft tee shirt from Kohl's,... I am picturing my two little boys that only hours ago shared a bedroom.

The endless hours of Beyblades, clutter of all things boys everywhere, piles of dirty underwear, jumping beds across the room, giggles about fart jokes, episodes of TMNT, and the hysterical nightly naked butt shaking.

From my child that once told us that he planned to go to college online in order to enjoy the comforts of home, kinda makes me wonder what to expect next.  Do you know what I mean?  As moms, we will get all kinds of calls/texts from our children.  Don't we?  Whether it is "Mom! I got all A's," "Mom, I got my best running time!" "Mom, can Ben sleep over?"...  or...  when it gradually becomes...  "Mom!  I met a girl!" "Mom, we finally set a date!"  "Mom... my boyfriend crashed my car.  We're ok!"  "Mom... can you pick me up early?"  to, eventually things like "Mom... I joined the military; I'm moving to Chicago; I need a loan; I'm pregnant..."

It all starts with a move across the hall.

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths."  Proverbs 3:5-6


No comments: